Neighbor helping neighbor. Transforming lives, one person at a time.
The Mission of Mercy Neighborhood Ministries of Philadelphia, Inc. is to create partnerships and services that respond to the needs of those who are poor in the North Philadelphia community, especially women, children and persons with special needs.
Consistent with the Gospel values and the vision of Catherine McAuley, the focus of these ministries is to identify needs which are not being met by other groups, to respond to these needs over time, and to fulfill them in a collaborative and empowering way.
The following statistics are about the neighborhood we serve and are based on the 2000 U.S. Census Report:
- Over 55% of families with children in this zip code are identified as living in poverty
- 88% of the children we presently serve are eligible for Child Care subsidy.
- 43% of our neighbors attended high school but did not complete.
- 13% of our neighbors never attended high school.
- 17% of our neighbors who are employable can’t find work.
- 66% of our children are cared for by single, female heads of households.