In kind gifts are invaluable to Mercy Neighborhood Ministries of Philadelphia, Inc. (MNM) Gifts in kind include donations of property other than cash and marketable securities.
Gifts in kind include:
- Real Estate
- Services (Consulting, Maintenance, Printing & Mailing, etc.)
How to give a gift in kind
- The asset must be placed in the physical possession of Mercy Neighborhood Ministries of Philadelphia, Inc.
- The Gift In Kind Donor Form should be completed. Our Development Office will assist in this process, allowing the donor to determine fair market value and fill in the description of the gift in the space provided. IRS regulations require the donor to determine the fair market value. For corporate gifts of $25,000 or more, a letter from a representative of the corporation stating the fair market value with an accompanying inventory of the donated property is acceptable.
- When the fair market value is over $5,000, the donor is required to fill out IRS Form 8283, attach a qualified appraisal when instructed and complete the form by a signed declaration of appraiser. The IRS Form 8283, which is acknowledged by our Executive Director, will be returned to you with the gift receipt. MNM recommends that the donor consult with his/her tax advisor to determine the appropriate tax consequences of any charitable contribution.
- The MNM-issued gift receipt will make no reference to the fair market value of the gift in kind, only a brief description of the donated property. MNM will record the fair market value for recognition purposes only.
- Donors are asked to complete, sign and return the Gift In Kind Donor Form.
If you have questions or would like more information on making a gift in kind to Mercy Neighborhood Ministries of Philadelphia, Inc. contact Steven Ziegler, Director of Philanthropy at 215.227.4393 ext. 205 or using this form.